Thursday, March 5, 2009

When good haircuts go bad!

Me again. Boy am I back on the bandwagon! I'm sure it will die down soon.

We all know I'm extremely frugal, right? So what kind of cheapskate would I be if I didn't cut my kids hair myself? I couldn't even show my face at the thrift store if I actually PAID someone to cut my kids hair. And if I couldn't go to the thrift store my whole family would be naked which in some circles is considered bad. SO, I cut my kids hair.

Eli loves it and wants another one immediately after I finish. :) Same thing with getting his nails cut, ears cleaned, etc. Funny kid. Nate HATES it. Hates, hates, HATES IT! At the mature age of 8, he has quit throwing tantrums about it. But just barely.

We have been long past due for haircuts around here. I always know it's time because Eli goes from looking like Tiger Woods to Cosmo Kramer. So we got down to business, got out the clippers and Eli went first as usual. All was going very well until the end when I went to shave his neck. Apparently the clippers need some adjustment because they nicked Eli's neck. In reaction, his head whipped around and then this happened.

You're probably thinking that the bloody nose was the result. You're wrong. The nose happened earlier in the day in the house center at preschool. Don't you just hate domestic violence??? Kidding. His teacher emphasized the fact that it was not a result of a physical incident. I think that there may have been a physical incident with his finger and his nose. When I said something to that effect to his teacher she looked at me with complete confusion. Come ON?! Are you telling me that a preschool teacher is oblivious to the rampant nose picking that goes on in that room? BACK to the real issue. Notice, if you will, the missing eyelashes in the middle of the eyelid? Yep, I did that. I assured him that they would grow back, so he wanted me to take a picture RIGHT away because "they might grow back before Dad got home and he wouldn't be able to see what happened." AND he wanted Dad to see the cool hair on his chin ("just like Dad's hairy chin"). Doesn't he look so ruggedly satisfied with himself? He is. And me? I'm freaking out that I came within a quarter inch of his eye! BLAAAAA!

We are now at least daily checking to see if they have grown back yet. They haven't.

3 comments:

tarryn said...

That is so funny! I especially love the nose-picking. Just what are they thinking they will pull out of there, anyway? This reminds me of one of my all-time favorite Nate Greenway quotes, "But Mom, I'm a pwetty handsome guy, awen't I?"

amy greenway said...

Ah yes. A Nate classic. Anything to get out of a haircut. I was just thinking about that the other day and realized that he was exactly Cecily's age when he said that. Cecily would just say "noooo" at this point.

tiff said...

Way to give your kid a bloody nose. I mean a short eyelash.....

I would be freaking out too. Last week we went to Target and when I put the car in park, I started rolling up the windows. Michael kept saying "ow" quietly, but I was in a hurry and thought I'd tend to him when we got out of the car. Then I stopped rolling up the window for some reason. (Heavenly messenger slapping me?!) I turn around and Michael's head is stuck in the window. I FREAKED OUT. If his head had been any further out I probably would have killed him (not on purpose). He had a line across his face for a couple days.
ANYWAY, I understand freaking out about what might have been.

By the way, Bryant STILL throws tantrums about haircuts. I don't know what it is, but it drives me to insanity/anger every time.