Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I'm Published!!!

Oh yeah! You read that right. I can now say that I am published...kinda. But even if it's "kinda", an inappropriate amount of pride is welling up inside me. Especially since it took almost no effort and I had completely forgotten about it until I was alerted by email (which I almost deleted because I didn't even recognize the authors name.)

I'm sure you're dying to know which incredible work of mine is being published. My recipe. I know, you're disappointed now. Good thing I'M still impressed with myself. :)

I got an email months ago from a friend informing me that a woman was compiling a World Wide Ward Cookbook that was to be published by Deseret Book. She was requesting recipes that had some kind of family tradition/story attached to them. Well, everyone has one of those so I didn't really think that I would be chosen but it was about time that I got the recipe on paper anyway (it's just been in my head until now.) So I submitted it, and probably got some kind of acceptance notification after that but I delete everything I don't recognize and this was not even on my radar after the day I submitted it.

Are you just licking you lips to know what scrumptious recipe I submitted? Sadly, I can't properly tell you. I can say it poorly in Mandarin Chinese but I definitely can't type it. I think I titled the recipe "Chinese Dumplings" in an attempt not to slaughter the language.

The story behind it is that my Dad served his mission in Taiwan ooooh sooooo long ago. At that time missionaries in Taiwan had "house boys" that did the cooking, cleaning, etc. My dad quickly learned that having them make american food could be detrimental to his health since they didn't now the first thing about american food and the local food was fantastic. He loved the dumplings particulary and learned how to make them.

My family made these every General Conference weekend. Together we would fold them and we all (well, almost all, Eric thought they felt like jellyfish and they were not his favorite) LOVED to eat them! They are still my favorite food and they are my kids favorite food too!

And THAT is the whole story. My "major award" for being chosen is that I get a free copy of the cookbook! I'll take that over a leg-shaped lamp with a swanky shade. Then again, after looking at my choices side by side...I may have spoken too soon.

6 comments:

highdeekay said...

Awesome! Congrats on your major award. Is there any way you'd share the recipe? Phil served in Taiwan and he would LOVE it if I surprised him with some real chinese dumplings some time! Please, please, please????? If you can't post it, will you email it to me?

Charlotte said...

Direct quote from Eric after I read him this:

"Well, no, I LOVE Gyoza. WHEN THEY'RE FRIED. LIKE THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO BE. But boiled? That's like boiling chicken!"

FYI--I love them boiled. Actually, It's one of my favorite Cantwell traditions. Right up there with lamb and pepper jelly, and pumpkin seeds in the salad.

amy greenway said...

Heidi,
I remember that about Phil! I would love to give you the recipe! I can't remember if I put it in a document and sent it to her, or just typed it into her form. We have a new computer since I sent it so I'll have to do a little looking around. If I didn't put it in a document (then that was stupid!) I'll wait until I get the cookbook before I give it to you.

amy greenway said...

Char,
Yeah, Eric is not a Jao tse (NOT the proper spelling!!!) purest. He used put BBQ sauce on them! DESECRATION OF THE WORST KIND. Good thing I love him anyway.

mmmmm, lamb and pepper jelly. I love the rosemary on top too. Can't wait for July.

amy greenway said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tiff said...

Amy Amy Amy!!!! I'm so happy to hear your voice (figuratively) again! Thanks for finding me on Facebook. Just so you know, I'm terrible on Facebook, so while you will definitely be added as a friend, I will not be updating my "status" daily.

AND, I am very impressed with your new book! (We can call it that, right?) I've seen it at Costco, but haven't picked it up yet. Now I have a reason to. I've tasted your cooking before, and all I can say is--OF COURSE THEY PICKED YOUR RECIPE. You make white bread and bologna shiver. That's what a good cook you are. No one would want to go processed again.